Energizing Kayunga With Solar

Help meet the high demand for solar in the area with 40 more solar home systems

Impact

 

  • A $10,000 loan will help SolarNow sell 40 solar home systems that are 50W in capacity each. 30 will be sold to rural households and 10 will be sold to small businesses.
     
  • Each 50W system powers 6 lights, cellphone charging and radio for the 10 year lifetime of the system.

The projected impact from the solar home systems:

 

 

Summary

 

80% of Uganda’s population lack access to electricity, which puts a total of 4 million households off the grid. These households currently spend $4 a week on kerosene, battery charging, drycell batteries, and candles for lighting needs and even more on phone charging services. Of the off-grid households, 1.3 million have disposable incomes that allow them to purchase better quality lighting. These are the ones who will first leapfrog the electricity grid and pave the way for others to join them in switching to solar from kerosene.

There are three reasons why SolarNow solar home systems make switching from kerosene to solar easier than ever:

  1. They are affordable. SolarNow customers only need to pay 25% of the system upfront, while the remaining 75% can be paid throughout a 12 monthly installment pay plan. This eases the cost burden for customers (default rate has been less than 1%) while stopping kerosene use immediately. 
     
  2. They are hassle-free. Every SolarNow product comes with full installation by trained technicians, user training, and two year free maintenance, removing customers' worries about not knowing how to use the system properly and product faultiness.
     
  3. They are flexible. SolarNow products range from 50W to 400W and are modular, so customers can easily and gradually upgrade their solar home systems to meet their rising energy demand over time. 

With over 34 franchise stores in the country, SolarNow customers also know exactly where to go to get support. The franchises identify and educate prospective clients and are responsible for the credit assessment as well as the installation and after-sales service. SolarNow also operates its own Customer Care Team to make sure their customers are satisfied with their products. 

 

Technology

 

All SolarNow products, including the 50W solar home systems in this project, come with full installation, user training and a two-year free maintenance agreement. All product components have manufacturers' warranty ranging from 2 to 20 years. 

 

100% Funded

By 104 People

$0 to go

out of $10,000 Target

This project is fully funded!

SOLAR PARTNER

SolarNow provides affordable, high quality solar home systems to off-grid households and businesses in Uganda. Their solar home systems range 50 to 500 watts and because they’re modular they can be upgraded over time. Through their network of franchises and by offering a 12-month payment plan to their customers, SolarNow makes solar accessible and affordable for rural, low-income households. Since 2011, SolarNow has sold over 3,000 solar home systems.

REPAYMENT INFO

Loan term: 12 months

Repayment schedule: every 3 months

Interest rate: principal repayment only

Impact points: equivalent to 3.5% of interest

Repayment Date Status
1 June 2014 Repaid
2 September 2014 Repaid
3 December 2014 Repaid
4 March 2015 Pending

LOCATION

Kayunga is a district located to the northeast of Uganda's capital city, Kampala. The district's population based on 2002 census is 294,613, with more than 90% living in rural areas. Only 4.7% of the population has access to electricity and 73% of all households depend on mainly subsistence farming.