GLOBAL INVESTMENT OFFICER
Location: Nairobi (preferred) or London. For the right person we can be more flexible on location within Africa or the EU.
Start date: January 2018
The Global Investment Officer will report to the COO and be responsible for growing our loan portfolio. This entails sourcing, screening, leading and maintaining relationships and leading transactions with beyond the grid solar companies in emerging markets.
Lead lending transactions and relationships with solar company borrowers in emerging markets, including origination, project and company due diligence, loan structuring, negotiation, execution. Bring deals to a close under tight timelines
Prepare investment memorandums (working alongside credit analysts) and present the deal to the credit committee
Maintain high quality relationships with customers for portfolio monitoring purposes and to ensure we cater to their scaling needs
Have an ear for the market to effectively contribute to our growth strategy and portfolio targets
Build partnerships with potential customers and develop new business by exploring new markets and segments
Represent SunFunder at international industry conferences on a quarterly basis.
Develop new solar lending products to meet our customers’ and the sector’s evolving financing needs
Qualifications / What We’re Looking For:
A passion for what we do and a demonstrated hunger for closing deals
Proven track record of at least 5 years in leading, structuring, negotiation and executing debt investments in the financial and energy sectors. Previous experience in credit analysis a plus
Have lived and worked in emerging economies, particularly East or West Africa and experience working with a multi-cultural team
A willingness to travel to markets where you are sourcing and executing deals (20-35% depending on where you are based)
Understanding of early stage and/or renewable energy businesses, residential and commercial solar energy business models, and project/asset finance structures
Proven track record of making things happen in an entrepreneurial environment, willing to challenge the way we’re doing things, “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time, and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
SunFunder is a distributed team. As such, it is most important that you are someone who over communicates, is highly organized and results-oriented, is self-motivated and self-disciplined, exhibits high emotional intelligence (great listening) and is willing and able to learn new tech tools/ systems. Other qualities that are important to us include: a positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, possesses a low-ego and a good sense of humor
Compensation: We offer a competitive compensation package including equity, generous benefits, a unique work culture for an ambitious startup that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented international team.
Application: Please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, please tell us why you are the right person for this job (bonus points for brevity). Email title: “Global Investment Officer”.
Deadline: November 15th, 2017
LEGAL COUNSEL (TRANSACTIONS)
Location: Nairobi (preferred), London (or potentially other EU), New York or Washington DC
Start date: Immediately
SunFunder is a solar finance business driving a global energy transformation to solve energy access and climate change. Since 2012, we have unlocked $40 million, impacted 2.7 million people in 12 countries while maintaining a default rate under 1%.
SunFunder specializes in financing solar assets through scalable inventory, working capital and structured finance loans. We’re growing and looking for a talented and experienced legal professional to join our Nairobi-based team.
The Legal Counsel will play a key role in deal structuring and documentation. The Legal Counsel’s main role will be to help SunFunder’s lending team close solar transactions. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all loans are negotiated and documented properly and will work with the lending team to ensure legal policies and processes are implemented during the investment process. The role will involve significant contractual drafting.
- Work with lending team to assist in negotiating loan agreements with new solar customers and capturing transaction specifics in deal documentation.
- Manage work with local counsel to ensure all security and collateral is properly documented, registered and perfected.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of existing loan agreements, updating loan templates and making necessary revisions or amendments.
- Develop and implement legal processes for lending team to follow.
- Draft and review various corporate and lending policies.
- Explore regulatory and legal environments in new markets.
- Perform research and other tasks as requested.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, UK qualified, barred in US or other equivalent.
- Must have prior experience with international transactions, debt financings and security documentation
- 5-10 years legal experience at a reputable law firm practicing transactional law and managing legal projects across various stakeholders, including a mix of transactional and general corporate work at a law firm
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and computer skills
- Ability to translate complex legal issues into terms understandable by non-legal professionals
- Ability to work well with people from different countries and cultures and amenability to working with different time zones in an efficient manner
- A good sense of humor, willingness to challenge the way we’re doing things, able to thrive and be resilient in a rapidly changing environment
- Passionate commitment to creating social, environmental and economic impact through innovative finance
- Willingness to “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time
- Other qualities that are important to us include: independent, accomplished, organized, detail oriented, results-oriented, entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, intellectually curious, low-ego, passion.
Compensation will be based upon experience. We offer generous benefits, a unique work culture that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented team.
Please send an email with the title “Legal Counsel (Transactions)” to: email@example.com. Please include all of the following items:
1) Your resume
2) 3 references
3) Describe why you are the best person for the job (MAX: 200 words)
4) Describe a transaction on which you worked where you had an ethical concern, a challenging counterparty, a difficult regulatory environment or a contentious deal term, and how you tackled the problem and worked toward resolution? (MAX: 150 words.)
5) Please describe a situation in which you had to manage a process in an uncertain and fast-paced environment. How were you able to navigate the ambiguity while engaging other stakeholders in the process? (MAX: 150 words)