We are growing fast but our bar is very high. We are looking for exceptional people to join us. Here are the current openings.
LEGAL COUNSEL (TRANSACTIONS)
Location: Nairobi (preferred), London (or potentially other EU), New York or Washington DC
Start date: Immediately
SunFunder is a solar finance business driving a global energy transformation to solve energy access and climate change. Since 2012, we have unlocked $40 million, impacted 2.7 million people in 12 countries while maintaining a default rate under 1%.
SunFunder specializes in financing solar assets through scalable inventory, working capital and structured finance loans. We’re growing and looking for a talented and experienced legal professional to join our Nairobi-based team.
The Legal Counsel will play a key role in deal structuring and documentation. The Legal Counsel’s main role will be to help SunFunder’s lending team close solar transactions. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all loans are negotiated and documented properly and will work with the lending team to ensure legal policies and processes are implemented during the investment process. The role will involve significant contractual drafting.
- Work with lending team to assist in negotiating loan agreements with new solar customers and capturing transaction specifics in deal documentation.
- Manage work with local counsel to ensure all security and collateral is properly documented, registered and perfected.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of existing loan agreements, updating loan templates and making necessary revisions or amendments.
- Develop and implement legal processes for lending team to follow.
- Draft and review various corporate and lending policies.
- Explore regulatory and legal environments in new markets.
- Perform research and other tasks as requested.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, UK qualified, barred in US or other equivalent.
- Must have prior experience with international transactions, debt financings and security documentation
- 5-10 years legal experience at a reputable law firm practicing transactional law and managing legal projects across various stakeholders, including a mix of transactional and general corporate work at a law firm
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and computer skills
- Ability to translate complex legal issues into terms understandable by non-legal professionals
- Ability to work well with people from different countries and cultures and amenability to working with different time zones in an efficient manner
- A good sense of humor, willingness to challenge the way we’re doing things, able to thrive and be resilient in a rapidly changing environment
- Passionate commitment to creating social, environmental and economic impact through innovative finance
- Willingness to “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time
- Other qualities that are important to us include: independent, accomplished, organized, detail oriented, results-oriented, entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, intellectually curious, low-ego, passion.
Compensation will be based upon experience. We offer generous benefits, a unique work culture that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented team.
Please send an email with the title “Legal Counsel (Transactions)” to: email@example.com. Please include all of the following items:
1) Your resume
2) 3 references
3) Describe why you are the best person for the job (MAX: 200 words)
4) Describe a transaction on which you worked where you had an ethical concern, a challenging counterparty, a difficult regulatory environment or a contentious deal term, and how you tackled the problem and worked toward resolution? (MAX: 150 words.)
5) Please describe a situation in which you had to manage a process in an uncertain and fast-paced environment. How were you able to navigate the ambiguity while engaging other stakeholders in the process? (MAX: 150 words)