We are growing fast but our bar is very high. We are looking for exceptional people to join us. Here are the current openings.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start date: Immediately
SunFunder is a solar finance business driving a global energy transformation to solve energy access and climate change. Since 2012, we have unlocked $40 million, impacted 2.7 million people in 12 countries while maintaining a default rate under 1%.
SunFunder specializes in financing solar assets through scalable inventory, working capital and structured finance loans. We’re growing and looking for a talented and experienced legal professional to join our Nairobi-based team.
The Legal Counsel will report to the Chief Counsel and play a key role in helping SunFunder’s lending team close investments in solar companies. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all loans are negotiated and documented properly and will work with the lending team to ensure legal policies and processes are implemented.
Work with lending team to assist in negotiating loan agreements with new solar customers and capturing transaction specifics in deal documentation.
Manage work with local counsel to ensure all security and collateral is properly documented, registered and perfected.
Conduct a comprehensive review of existing loan agreements, updating loan templates and making necessary revisions or amendments.
Develop and implement legal processes for lending team to follow.
Assist Chief Counsel on corporate legal activities related to establishing local offices, tax and regulatory matters, employment contracts, etc.
Draft and review various corporate and lending policies.
Explore regulatory and legal environments in new markets.
Perform research and and other tasks as requested.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- LLB, Legal Studies or equivalent degree that allows for the practice of law in KENYA.
- Over 10 years legal experience
- Prior knowledge/familiarity with international transactions, debt financings and security documentation essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and computer skills
- Ability to translate complex legal issues into terms understandable by non-legal professionals
- Ability to work well with people from different countries and cultures (SunFunder’s staff includes over 11 nationalities)
- A good sense of humor, willingness to challenge the way we’re doing things, able to thrive and be resilient in a rapidly changing environment
- Passionate commitment to creating social, environmental and economic impact through innovative finance
- Willingness to “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time
- Other qualities that are important to us include: independent, accomplished, organized, detail oriented, results-oriented, entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, intellectually curious, low-ego, passion.
Compensation will be based upon experience. We offer generous benefits, a unique work culture that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented team.
Please email your resume (include 3 references) to: email@example.com. In the email, please tell us why you are the right person for this position (bonus points for brevity). Email title: “Legal Counsel”.